Interested in writing for IMPACTmagazine.us? Wanna see your name on the tiny screen, or show up in a Google search?
We are looking for new writers as well as regular columnists who have unique and engaging perspectives. Wordsmiths welcome!
IMPACTmagazine.us is an online magazine covering faith, culture and real life from a gay and Christian perspective (although our readers are not exclusively gay or Christian). Our audience is the growing demographic of LGBT people of faith — living in the world, fully engaged with the world, and positively impacting the world. They are people intent on making a difference, motivated by faith, altruism, and a desire to give back. But they also want to deeply enjoy their life while they’re at it. As gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender people, they share an unconventional view of the world and don’t comfortably fit within traditional religious definitions. They are people who live with purpose, tend to be progressive, generally more liberal in worldview, with a strong sense of community and a deep spirituality, and want more out of life than just a job, house, and 3.4 kids.
IMPACTmagazine.us spotlights life in 7 primary areas:
• The CULTURE SAVVY section spotlights current trends, especially focusing on issues relevant to the LGBTQ/C community: news & hot topics, politics, style, travel, sports, Food!, urban life, reviews (film, music, books, theater).
• REAL LIFE covers topics that hit you where you live. Health & fitness, money, living poz (HIV+), transgender issues, recovery (for people recovering from additions and abuse), and Life After 40 (yes, there is life for LGBTQ people after 40!). Testify! is the section reserved for your story, where we turn the mic over to you: Speak up, give your opinion and interact with the world. Tell your life story (if it’s interesting!), testify! Write about a life-changing experience, or puff the good work of what’s going on in your community.
• GOD-TALK is dedicated to spiritual and religious topics: the church, relationship with God, Bible topics, worship, Shepherd to Shepherd (pastors speaking to pastors), everyday life with God-awareness, and the occasional soapbox for encouraging words.
• LOVE & SEX. Let’s be honest. This is what preoccupies most of our time and energy. So let’s talk about it: love & sex, gay family life, dating and HIV. Frankly, honestly, no holds barred. This is not your father’s Christian magazine!
• ENGAGE focuses on making a difference in the world. Living environmentally-friendly, socially conscious, tolerant, in an inter-faith and multi-cultural world. Here we talk about living green (sustainable living, creation-stewardship), humanitarian work, equality and social justice, mission, street-level ministry, caring for others, and life beyond American pop-culture. In a word, what needs to be done in the world, and how you can help.
• SOUL FOOD. This is where you feed the right side of your brain. Poetry, short stories, music, art & photography, video clips.
• VOICES is a collection of dedicated columns and blogs by regular contributors who have something to say to LGBTQ people of faith.
- Features should be 750-1200 words in length. Reviews (Film, Music, Books, Theater) should be 500-750 words. Short stories should be under 2500 words. (These are guidelines, not rules set in concrete. We’re flexible, as long as you keep us interested. But bear in mind online readers’ attention span!)
- Submissions should be included in the body of your email. Your suggested title should be in the subject line.
- You should include your name and a 1-3 sentence bio. You may also (optionally) attach a bio pic, and your bio may include your blog address or Twitter id.
- You should preface your article with a 1-3 sentence topic summary (so we can see at a glance what you’re writing about).
- All articles may be edited for length, grammar, content, style and tone.
- By submitting content, you are granting IMPACT Magazine a worldwide, non-exclusive, perpetual, royalty-free right to publish, distribute or otherwise make the content available in original or edited form. You maintain personal ownership and copyright of your original content.
- Submissions are on a donation basis. Your byline or photo credit plus bio and a link to your website serve as your compensation. We can’t make you rich, but we’ll help make you famous.
- Send all submissions to submissions@IMPACTmagazine.us
To improve your chances of being included, make the job of the editors as easy as possible:
- Avoid hostile or contentious positions. We are edgy, but not bitchy.
- IMPACT Magazine is a “safe place” for LGBT Christians. Articles which do not align with an LGBTQ-affirming position, an exalted view of Jesus, or a respectful view of Scripture will not be considered.
- We appeal to a broad audience, so keep your material at a PG-13 rating or below — well, okay, maybe an R (for “Real life”).
- Proof-read your submission. You’d be amazed at what you accidentally pasted back in the middle of your paragraph.
- If your article benefits from section headers, suggest them yourself.
- Include any keywords or tags that will help readers find your article.
- We live in a visual world. If you have photos that could highlight your piece, include them. Make sure you own the rights to them, or they are copyright-free (like through a Creative Commons license). Don’t forget to include the photo credit! Photographers deserve recognition for their work too.
- If you are writing about a topic that is time sensitive or in the news right now, include the word “URGENT” in your email subject line.
- We do our best to respond to all inquiries, but depending on the workload, that may not always be possible. If you have not heard back from us after 4-6 weeks, you may safely assume we will not be able to use your submission.
- And finally, it should go without saying that your work and your words must not only be accurate and true, but must also be your own.